We just got a fax. At work. We didn’t know we had a fax machine. The entire department just stared at it. I poked it with a stick.
Moses had the first tablet that could connect to the cloud.
The Greater Sudbury Police Service would like to advise the public of 70 arrests recently made in India at a call centre that employed 700 people hired to conduct a phone scam internationally where callers also contacted victim’s in Canada and alleged they were a representative of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
We are getting many more computers than usual with “Randsomeware” on them. So what is Randsomeware?
- It appears on your computer as a warning that you must call a toll-free number right away in order to continue using your computer.
- It may warn you that your computer is infected and that you must contact a website or a toll-free number to correct the issue.
- Sometimes, you may get a notice that you must call Microsoft right away at a toll-free number on the screen.
- these displays generally give you no place to exit by way of an “X” or “Close” button
- They will caution you to not turn your computer off or disconnect from the Internet
There are many other examples as well, but the key point here is that you must contact someone to resolve an issue. Under NO Circumstances Should You Call Them! These fast-talking salespeople will convince you to let them take control of your computer to fix it. When they do, they put software onto your computer that gives them access anytime your computer is on – to do whatever they like. We have seen unfortunate cases where these people fleece customers for literally thousands of dollars. If you have a good, understanding bank, you can get your money back ( be sure to get new replacement cards right away ).
So what do you do?
Turn off your computer immediately. This can be done by simply holding down your power button until the computer shuts off. Take your computer to get the software removed right away. Make sure you have a good antivirus software package installed on your computer ….( free software might seem like the way to save a dollar, but it definitely is not the way to go ).
We can certainly help you with this and any other issues you may be having. Just call 519-235-2136.
Thank you to all for supporting us and using our services over the past 20 years. We have many other things in store for the next 20.
We at LRV Computing and Consulting wish everyone a happy and healthy 2017.
Windows 7 support. Microsoft will not be retiring Windows 7 until 2020.